1994 History Corner Articles

History Corner articles from 1994
Silk Mill

(Courtesy of Sarah Kline)

This is how the silk mill looked only a short while after it had been built (which was probably the spring and summer of 1919) and early in its operation. Notice the smoke stack to the rear, the roof vents and the one way street sign on what was then Highway 28 and today is US 522.

(Besides the present name, and B. Edmund David, what were at least two other names the textile mill operated under in Beavertown? Answer next month.)

Answer to Last Month

Today, Albert Bickhart has the barber shop in the front and his wife, Deanna has a beauty shop in the rear. Those are the two businesses in this building today.

Shirk Stove Store

(Courtesy of Joseph W. Shirk)

Shown here are Mr. and Mrs. P. P. Shirk and four of their children in about the 1880s. The little wooden building to the rear was the tin manufacturing shop, where stove pipe and other tin items could be custom made to order.

(What two business establishments are located in this building today? This should be easy! Answer next month.)

Answer to Last Month

Ted Hetrick had an appliance store and electric ship in this building. The West Snyder Pharmacy and Shirk Flowers were two other enterprises which operated in this building.

Going back to loafing benches, add Kauffman’s Meat Market to the list. They had two, one on each side of the store entrance, in the original place of business. We thank Janet Kauffman for this information.

Rines Store

(Courtesy of Robert F. Grabill)

Built in 1845 by Moses Specht as the Oregon House Hotel, this is one of the most historic buildings in Beavertown. The addition to the east was at first a gunsmith ship, and became a General Store in the later 1840s. Moses sold it to the Winey Brothers of Middleburg in 1892, and they ran it for a few years and sold it to Barner. Mrs. Rine was one of their daughters.

(What were at least three enterprises that were in this building besides hotels and general stores? Answer next month.

Answer to Last Month

From east to west, besides Super Service Garage, loafing benches were available at Marlie’s Shoe Shop and George Doebler’s Restaurant, Ira Lepley’s General Store, Walker Brothers and Bob Young’s General Store, Fitgerald’s and Walker’s and Bailey’s Restaurant on the square, at the lower hotel, and loafers would sometimes sit on the porch at Bobb’s Restaurant. Can you add to this list?

The Beavertown News - News, Events, and History for Beavertown, PA.