1995 History Corner Articles

Steam Tannery

(Courtesy of Gertrude Graybill)

Shown here was Beavertown’s largest employer prior to the coming of the silk mill. Notice the railroad sidings which were busy in those days. The smoke stack was for the steam engine. The wooden building to the left background was moved across Center Street and is now the residence of Kathryn Spaid.

(What doctor had his office in this moved building? Answer next month.)

Answer to Last Month

The Isabella Steam Tannery was the name of the very large industry once located in Beavertown where Ira Bobb’s house is, and the home just south of it (where Clarence Walker lived) on South Center Street.

Mr. Samuel Lupher built the tannery, ran it for 40 years, and then sold it to the Wood family of Philadelphia, which is what brought John Wood into Beavertown.

Wood Mansion

(Courtesy of Sarah Kline)

Shown here is the Mr. John Wood’s home he built for his bride, Mary. John was the last owner of the tannery. He was in an alcohol detox center and Mary was his nurse. They fell in love and married, and he wanted her to have the very best, which she always did have. Today the home is owned by Davy Jones of the “Monkees”.

(What was the original name of the tannery and where was it located? Answer next month.)

Answer to Last Month

During World War II, Max Kearns designed and built a gardening tool he called the Victory Cultivator.

It was sent all over the country, and either Sears and Roebuck or Montgomery Ward wanted to buy lots of them to sell through their catalogs, but material shortages and lack of manufacturing space prevented Max from accepting their offer. It was and still is a magnificent gardening tool!

1908 Eureka

(Courtesy of George Saylor, Jr.)

Shown here is the Mr. Dick Sedgewick of Dover, NH and his magnificent auto made in Beavertown in 1908. He and Charles Kearns of Tuscon AZ, the son of the designer and builder of the car, Max Kearns, came to the B.V.H.S. Grand Reunion and then went on to the Beaver Fair where this photo was taken on September 23, 1995.

(What other product, besides buggies, wagons, cars, and trucks did Max Kearns design and manufacture? Answer next month.)

Answer to Last Month

Mr. I. P. Haines had a confectionary store here in the early 1920s. Mel Bobb had it as a restaurant and store, (and operated by Charles Bobb for a short while); later taken over by Nelson Fitzgerald, followed by Charles Walker, who sold out his interest to Clarence Bailey. Thereafter the front part was used for a few months as a small store, but otherwise was vacant until the bank went into business.

The Beavertown News - News, Events, and History for Beavertown, PA.