Shown here is Mr. Reed Mattern in a horse and buggy, not unlike those rented out by the livery stable of the Central Hotel in the background (the fenced area or corral). Merchants came by train and would rent these rigs and deliver their goods in the countryside. This scene is on South Center Street, and the bark sheds are where Ira Bobb now lives. There were always lots of copperhead snakes in these sheds.
(What was the bark in these sheds used for? Answer next month.)
Answer to Last Month
The original railroad was the Sunbury and Lewistown RR, known as the S&LRR.
The Greyhound Bus Company served Beavertown from 1931-34 at the old railroad station, after the PRR went out of the passenger service business in 1931. The depression was poor for business, and all passenger service was discontinued after 1934 until the Lepley-Kline Bus Lines in the 40s.