1999 History Corner Articles

Silk Mill

(Courtesy of Jeanette Bingman)

It has been more than one year now since the silk mill closed down. Here is a photo of it when it began its spectacular growth. From the air we can see the four parts of the silk mill built up to that time. Part 1 was built in 1918; Part 2 in 1946; Part 3 in 1961; and Part 4 in 1961. This is from a commercial postcard of the period.

(How many other additions were added to the mill, and in what year? Answer next month.)

Answer to Last Month

The other business that operated in the former office of Dr. Boyd was the photography studio of Darwin “Buck” Mattern. After serving 10 years in the U. S. Navy, he studied photography and opened up a fully functioning professional studio and darkroom. This was the fall of 1958. Bobby Benfer lived in the house, and rented out the space to Buck. About one year later the studio was closed.

Dr. John Boyd

(Courtesy of Karen Ax)

On the left of this composite we see Dr. Boyd and his wife, Sallly Hetzel Nickerson Boyd. This photo was taken on August 25, 1943. Dr. Boyd died a little over two months later on October 28, 1943. On the right is 31 year old Sally and their 4 year old son, Gary. Doc Boyd had his office on the west side of 315 West Market Street. He lived in the right side and all of the upstairs. His unexpected death shocked the whole community.

(What other business was located in Dr. Boyd’s office in the late 1950s? Answer next month.)

Answer to Last Month

In 1968, C. W. Wagner, Chairman of the Board of Tri-County Economic Development, Inc., a non-profit public agency, was awarded a $20,000 grant by the Department of Community Affairs to establish a pilot project to see what might be done to assist Senior Citizens in Snyder County to have a higher quality of life. This was the forerunner to what later became the Area Agency on Aging.

Barry Goss, Betty Inch, and Margaret Solomon were hired to staff this pilot project, under the direction of the Chairman.

One of the things done early on was to meet with seniors in each of the municipalities of Snyder County to secure their interest and input. From these meetings, senior centers were organized, and Beavertown was the second town to have one in the old Lutheran Church.

Kingdom Hall

(Courtesy of The Beavertown Historical Society)

This photo was taken in 1976 of the Jehovah’s Witness Kingdom Hall on Hetrick Avenue in Beavertown. After it was no longer used as a church, it became a chiropractor’s office, and thereafter a video store. It has now been purchased by the Area Agency on Aging, and will be enlarged and changed into a very fine senior center for western Snyder County.

(Where in Beavertown was the first senior center? Answer next month.)

Answer to Last Month

The son-in-law of Charles F. Bingman, Bryan W. Kauffman was Postmaster in Middleburg from 1936 to 1972.

John F. Kauffman, a grandson of Charles F. Bingman was also a postal employee in Middleburg for 36 years (with 4 years in the Air Force). His wife, Gay also works in the Middleburg post office, with 15 years of service so far. Edna Bingman Fetterolf, a granddaughter of C. F. Bingman was appointed as a clerk in the Beavertown post office in October 1955. She was appointed Postmaster on December 7, 1974 and retired on May 5, 1978.

This family had 5 members bringing the mail.

The Beavertown News - News, Events, and History for Beavertown, PA.